Chapel of Our Lady, Cause of Our Joy
Church of Saint Columba
835 Route 82 - P.O. Box 428
Hopewell Junction, New York 12533
When the Blessed Sacrament is exposed upon the Altar, kneeling on both knees is the traditional sign of reverence when entering, leaving or moving about the Chapel. If you are not physically able to kneel, a profound bow would be appropriate.
Concern for maintaining a contemplative atmosphere should guide decisions about children accompanying adorers.
Arrive a few minutes before your hour commences. Please sign in to acknowledge that you are present for your hour. A book for prayer intentions is available for your use. Remain until your hour is finished and the next adorer has arrived.
- Reading materials: Holy Bibles, Devotional Books and Pamphlets,
will be available in the Chapel. All such materials must be approved by the Pastor before inclusion. If you care to offer such materials for inclusion, you must submit them to the Rectory. Do not leave any unapproved literature of any kind in the Chapel. Please do not remove any literature from the Chapel.
Your commitment is a vital link in a chain that assures that Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament is never alone. It is your responsibility to find a substitute as soon as possible.
Here are some suggestions:
IF THE NEXT ADORER DOES NOT ARRIVE
- If there is another adorer in your hour, check to be sure that person will be there.
- If so, you do not need to call anyone else.
- If not, continue to call others scheduled until you connect with a substitute.
- A family member or friend may be available (a good way to evangelize!)
- Switch days with another adorer in your hour (same time slot, different day)
- Switch the hour of your day with another adorer of that day.
Do not leave the Chapel until relieved. The Blessed Sacrament should
be left alone.
If you absolutely cannot wait any longer:
- Call other scheduled adorers for that hour.
- Call your Captain (The Captain’s list is available in the Chapel, above the sign in book.)
- As a last resort: call the Rectory: 227-8380
The Chapel will be closed on the following days each year:
- New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day
- Holy Thursday, (Adoration will take place after The Mass of the Lord’s Supper in the School Gymnasium)
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- The Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day and the Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
If the Chapel will be closed, a sign will be posted on the outside and inside doors prior.
For inclement weather, the Chapel will follow the school schedule.
- If schools are delayed in opening, the chapel will delay in opening as well. For example if there is a two hour delay, then the Chapel will open at 11:00AM.
- If schools are closed then the Chapel is closed as well.
You can check the school schedule by listening to the radio or by going to;
If the Chapel has an unplanned closing, for example in the middle of the day or on a day when school is not in session, notification will be made through the Adoration Captains.
There are two exits for the Chapel: the front door of the Convent building should be used as the normal entrance and exit for the Chapel; in case of an emergency, you may also use the door to the front left of the Chapel- go out this door turn right and exit the building.
In a spirit of reverence and respect for Jesus present in the Eucharist and the other adorers present in the Chapel, adorers should avoid chewing gum, eating, drinking, taking smoke breaks, etc. Adorers should dress modestly and appropriately so that they are never a distraction to others and show respect for Our Lord.
When School and Religious Education are in session please use caution when driving through the parking lot. Areas that are blocked off should never be entered. Please park to the left of the Convent building in the spaces along the white fence.
There is one restroom available in the Convent building, it is located through the door in front of the Chapel on the left, go through the door and turn to your right, the bathroom is the first door to your right just before the exit door. When exiting and entering this door to the Chapel, please make sure it is always closed.
HEAT AND AIR CONDITIONING
The heating for the Chapel is controlled in the Convent, there is no regulation for heat available in the Chapel. If it gets to warm, feel free to open the bottom portion of the windows. Please be respectful of others in the Chapel.
During the summer, an air conditioning unit is on the wall in the front of the Chapel on the right side. It is turned on by the remote control device on the wall beneath the unit. Please remember to turn it off when you leave if the next adorer does not want it on.
3:30pm Divine Mercy Chaplet
7:00pm Holy Rosary
8:45pm Night Prayer and Benediction
SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO SPEND AN HOUR WITH OUR LORD
1. Slowly read Sacred Scripture until something moves you. Stop reading and listen to the Holy Spirit speak to your heart.
2. Pray the Rosary.
3. Quietly look at Jesus and allow Jesus to look at you.
4. Speak to Our Lord as you would speak to a friend during a visit.
5. Give Our Lord your worries, cares and concerns.
6. Pray for the Church, our Holy Father, the Bishops, Priests, Deacons and Religious men and women.
7. Pray for an increase in vocations to the Church.
8. Pray for families and marriages.
9. Pray for the safety and well being of our children.
10. Pray for an end to abortion and a deeper respect for human life.
11. Pray for those who have left the Church, those who have been away from Mass and the Sacraments.
12. Pray for the sick and dying.
13. Pray in gratitude for the blessings in your life.
14. Pray for peace in the world.
15. Pray in union with Mary, the Angels and Saints.
16. Read from a favorite spiritual book.
17. Pray the Stations of the Cross.
18. Pray novena prayers or other devotional prayers or litanies.